RELEASE OF A LVL RESULTS
It is officially one week after the release of 2012 A Levels results. I still feel rather surreal that I am among one of the top few in Temasek JC. Before I move on to the next chapter of my education-- Uni applications, I shall close this chapter with a blog post, which summaries my JC life.

Being in TJ was a good experience. I made many friends and met passionate teachers. Yes, I missed many opportunities throughout my education here as well but that has also helped me to learn to grab every chance given to me now.

It was kinda funny why I choose TJ as my first choice. Coming from Cedar, it seems to be a natural thing for us to prefer VJ over the others. Haha. BUT I wanted to be different. It was my dream to enter to RJ. I pasted the school's brochure on the wall at my study desk to motivate myself through the preparation for O levels. I told myself countless times that I got to get 6 points to enter. In the end, I couldn't do so because I have gotten 4 nett points for my L1R5. I accepted that fact and was deciding between NJ and TJ. Haha. Then I went for open house and was truely amazed by the atmosphere at TJ, especially during the mass dance. Just because of the mass dance, I told myself that I am going to come here against my Dad's wishes.

I joined Touch Rugby as my CCA and then ran for House Committee elections. I made a fool of myself (I think) in front of Beta House. Learnt to be really 'thick-skinned' and asked for people to vote for me. Oh, and I memorised my speech because I knew I suck at public speaking and I might probably faint on that day itself. Even though elections didn't go smoothly for me, I did manage to get into House Comm. At the same time, I made it into the school team for Touch Rug.

Getting into House Comm requires a lot of commitment. We had to stay back for long hours after school to rush our proposals and camp preparations. Concurrently, I had to turn up for Touch trainings for the league. It was normal for me to reach home at 10 plus at night for my dinner and the next morning I got to wake up at 5.30am for school, since TJ was rather far. I did quite badly for my JCT with DEBS/S (55 percentile) in the order of BCME/GP. I continued on training till 9pm at night and helped Beta House for Titans (An annual sports event) whenever I am free. I must say that my help was rather limited because the league was round the corner. I am glad to have a group of supportive fellow HC members, who didn't blame me for being absent most of the time. When everything died down for us to prepare for the promo exam. I received the grades DDBC/E (58 percentile) and managed to keep all my 4 H2s, which was really lucky.

However, honestly, I wasn't happy with my result, neither were my parents. I missed the opportunity of getting into Temasek Internship Programme, given that my bio was a D. I have also developed gastric problems because I had my stomach empty for long hours and that I did vigorous exercise. This was when I decided to quit Touch Rug after discussing with my parents. I had to leave my team mates, even when the CCA was already very small and there weren't enough players.

Things should have turned better but NO, my results just got worse.

The early part of my J2 year was spent on the preparation for orientation. There was just so many things to do! And I was deeply focused in it that I couldn't pay attention in tutorials. During lectures, I was either whatsapp-ing my fellow OG 10 OGLs or sleeping. I was just looking forward to the end of each day so that I could meet up with my OGLs. I didn't study. I did my tutorials without much effort. Thinking back, I was really lacking of discipline. Even after orientation, it was really a challenge for me to start my mugging again. I had no mood for studies and Road Run and Track Meets were approaching. Having contributed so little as compared to the rest for Titans, I told myself, this would be the time for me prove that it was a right decision of my seniors to put me in Beta HC. I neglected my studies totally and sure enough, my results showed. I got SUED/E (31 percentile). I was so devastated because none of my subjects were more than 50 marks. Before moderation, I told my dad that it was highly possible that my school would make me drop to 3H2s and 1H1 and they might suspend me from my CCA. I told him that I only got 32 marks for my chemistry and I was probably the last few in my whole level. Never did I expect myself to get this kind of results. So all I could conclude is that, quitting Touch Rug did not help me at all. I might have less commitments then but I could not balance well. It was a wake-up call for me and that was when I told myself that: Come'on, you wouldn't want to continue like this.

I was super grateful to my friends who cheered me on. Jasmine, Huixian, Benjy and especially Vanessa helped me a lot by giving me moral support. Vanessa advised me to be more positive and she asked me to read xiaxue's blog post on the secret. I don't know if it really works but I believe it does. Also, during target setting, Zhi Hui told me to aim higher. I was contented with Bs but she said no, go for As! (:
So when I stepped down from my CCA, I pulled myself together. I worked really hard and at the same time, I tried to gain back my self-confidence. I would stay in the school library as long as it is opened. Eventually, for JCT, I received EDCA/D (73 percentile) and BCCB/C (79 percentile) for prelim.

During the last stretch, I gave up on econs to focus on the rest, thinking that it was good enough already. But after one consultation with Mr Maniam, I realised, I wasn't ready at all. I had many flawed concepts and I almost broke down in front of Mr Maniam because of the stress building up inside. However, Mr Maniam cheered me up and told me, 'you are a very capable student. you can do it.' That was when I knew I couldn't disappoint my tutors and myself. I restudied econs during my study break. For GP, I made a current affairs book and would read a time magazine everyday. For bio, I memorised, memorised and memorised. I went for consultations with Mrs Goh for maths almost every 3 days. I even made her come back to school when she was off. And I would study more than 12 hours s day because I knew time was running out.

During the A levels period, I broke down twice. Once was after math paper when everyone said they would get more than 80 marks while the maximum I could get was a low 70. People online was saying that to get A, you must get at least 85. I told Mrs Goh that I would most likely not get an A for math and I was sorry for all the efforts she put in while coaching me. She told me to not think about it and focus on my other papers. I cried after econs when I wrote oligopoly while someone told me that the tutors said it was mono com. However, after crying, I would tell myself to believe in the secret and that I shouldn't have any negative thoughts and feelings. Because of the A levels, I gave up on BMAT because I was so afraid that I would end up doing badly for both.

However, having gone through the tough period when I got back my A levels, I am actually grateful that all these have happened to me. It has made me grown to be more mature. I may not be a straight-As student but I am really satisfied and contented that I have gotten 6 dist and a B for GP. It was kind of like a miracle for me because I have never been one of the top few students in school. My GP itself has never gotten more than 53 marks.

I guess hard work really pays off. So never give up and must also have faith in yourself. To my friends who did not do well, believe that there is something great planned ahead for you. I also want to keep believing that I will get into the course I want and do well in it. Even if I don't get into my first two choices, I will succeed in the course I am offered just like how I may not have gotten into RJ but can still do well in TJ.